From the academic 2005/2006 the programmes offered by FHT are:
- Hydraulic Engineering with 2 specialities (Hydraulic Structures and Irrigation and Drainage Engineering);
- Water Supply and Sewerage with 2 specialities (Water and Wastewater Treatment and Water Supply and Sewerage Systems and Facilities);
- Hydraulic Engineering and Irrigation;
- and Drainage Engineering.
In 1999, the programme Hydraulic Engineering in German was launched. It is equivalent to the programme Hydraulic Engineering and Environment of TU Vienna, which is a partner in teaching. The academic curriculum is equal to the respective Austrian one. Instruction is in German. Graduates obtain their diplomas both from UACEG and TU Vienna.
FHT graduates obtain state diplomas for completed higher education in the respective programmes, with the professional qualifications Master-Engineer in Hydraulic Engineering (profile Hydraulic Structures or Irrigation and Drainage Engineering) and Master-Engineer in Water Supply and Sewerage (Water and Wastewater Treatment or Water Supply and Sewerage Systems and Facilities profiles).
They are qualified to work in the following institutions:
- design, construction-assembly, engineering and other companies dealing with design, construction and operation of hydraulic systems and structures, irrigation and drainage systems, water supply and sewerage systems, water purification, wastewater treatment, solid waste treatment;
- units for environmental control – regional inspectorates for environment and water; river-basins’ departments and councils;
- relevant departments of ministries, regional, municipal and district councils;
- investment bodies at various institutions, companies and enterprises;
- vocational schools of construction and the University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy;
- research and control laboratories;
- research units and institutes;
- trade companies and offices dealing with contractual and commercial services in the field of hydraulic engineering;
- consultancy offices and companies, expert teams;
- banks, insurance companies and institutions.
All programmes of the Faculty of Hydrotechnics have been accredited by the European Association of Engineers (FEANI) and graduates can obtain the degree “Euro-engineer”.
Graduates of the Faculty enjoy good reputation as specialists in engineering projects in a number of foreign countries in Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America.
About 80% of the projects developed by Bulgarian specialists in Northern Africa and the Middle East are in the field of Hydraulic Engineering. This fact is due mainly to their in-depth expertise, which is developed on the basis of solid general civil engineering training.
FHT maintains intensive international contacts with institutions and programmes, as follows:
- Bilateral collaboration – Vienna University of Technology, Technical University of Dresden, Germany; Moscow State Civil Engineering University, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece), Saints Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje (Republic of Macedonia); University of Nantes, France.
- International organisations – International Commission on Dams, International Organisation of Irrigation and Drainage, International Association of Water, International Organisation of Scientific Hydrology, World Organisation of Meteorology, and others.
- EU programmes – Socrates/Erasmus, Leonardo da Vinci, CEEPUS.
- NATO Science Programme – ASI, ARW.